Friday, May 26, 2006

Attention, Attention, we have a finished object


Now some of you may have been thinking that for a knitting blog I don't seem to finish a lot of knitting and lately it feels as though this has been rather true, at least, anything I have finished I haven't been happy enough with to share, for example the Debbie Bliss silk top. However, here is proof that sometimes I do finish things. I started this Birch on 10th May (this year) and finished it yesterday. Somehow the weather forgot to rain yesterday so Birch did manage a little photo shoot in the garden, the light was rather poor but I thought it best not to risk waiting until today and how right I was because the weather pulled itself together overnight and started raining again.


This is my second Birch and I found it much easier this time, I used stitch markers from the start and at no point had to rip a whole row (and tear out whole handfuls of my own hair as a direct result). I have knitted on and off ever since I was a child but didn't seriously get back into knitting until about 4 years ago when I discovered Rowan yarns and Debbie Bliss patterns, I turned out baby knits like there was no tomorrow and then about 2 years ago I felt confident enough to move on to adult items but I would never have believed back then that I would end up knitting lace. I will never be a great lace knitter but I am learning as I go and improving all the time and I find it incredibly relaxing.


Anna wrote some time ago about knitting lace as therapy and The Champagne Bohemian wrote a beautiful post regarding her lovely Ene's Shawl. I find knitting lace absorbing, I can't whizz along paying little attention, the pattern requires a little more thought. As I get into the swing of it the repetition becomes soothing and as I watch the pattern emerge I feel enormously satisfied. The summer edition of Interweave Knits has a short article by Amy R Singer (of Knitty.com) which mentioned the princess diaries, wow, what can I say, I guess there is a whole lot of therapy in that shawl. I would love to knit something like that but I don't think I'm up to it, there are definitely more Birches in my future though and I am very taken with Katherine's beautiful Fibertrends Lace Leaf shawl, the idea of knitting lace in Kid Classic is very appealing.

This Birch is intended for a very dear friend. She recently had her second child and I hope this will help her feel pampered and comforted. Her first child has just turned two and is very lively. Those first few months with the second baby and a toddler can be so tiring and leave you with very little time to yourself so she deserves something special. We go to visit this weekend and although I am pretty sure she will like the shawl I am a little nervous too.

17 Comments:

Blogger Midsummer night's knitter said...

It's a beauty!

Friday, May 26, 2006 11:24:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your shawl is beautiful and would be a joy for anyone to receive. Kidsilk haze is soooo light and lovely and the colour you have chosen is stunning and will certainly be comforting xxxx your one-skein pal

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:11:00 pm  
Blogger The Crafty Otter said...

It's gorgeous! I love the strong colour with the delicate fabric, and it's such a stunning pattern; simple, but very striking. I'm sure she will be delighted to receive such a beautiful gift, and one for *her*, not the babies... ;)

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:24:00 pm  
Blogger sereknitty72 said...

We must be neighbors because we had a break in the rain yesterday and today its back again with a vengeance! Love, love, love your shawl! Where did you get the pattern? I'd love to knit one for my mom. I've never knitted lace before--I'd love to try. I have so many socks they're coming out my ears....

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Anita said...

Your friend will adore the shawl - how could she not?! I love the colour (my birch is identical).

I do agree with your comments about lace knitting - it is compelling in a way that knitting a garment just isn't.

Friday, May 26, 2006 7:07:00 pm  
Blogger Midsummer night's knitter said...

I'm doing Rive in the petrol-blue shade. YOur comment on my blog brough t me to my senses - i had draped the knitting over the radiator in an effort to get a picture of it - and then I LEFT IT THERE. with TWO cats in the house. What a pratt. Needless to say, it's now tucked safely away (well, hopefully, they are craft Siamese...)
India

Saturday, May 27, 2006 8:52:00 am  
Anonymous Katherine said...

It's beautiful. The colour is gorgeous - just what we need in weather like this!

Saturday, May 27, 2006 6:41:00 pm  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Your Birch is really beautiful in that colour, it's so dramatic, your friend is sure to love it.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 11:08:00 pm  
Blogger alltangledup said...

birch is beautiful and your friend is very lucky indeed to have a friend like you

Sunday, May 28, 2006 4:15:00 pm  
Blogger Antonia M said...

Hi, you left a message on my blog, but for some reason it didn't go through to my e-mail. So I didn't see it. Anyway, to answer your question, the Astrakhan is lovely, but I did find it quite tricky - splits easily, difficult to count rows etc and easy to make extra stitches. But I'm not that experienced a knitter, so you may find it more straightforward. And it is so beautiful when finished! I love that coat, I've worn it quite a bit since I finished it.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 8:36:00 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

Very pretty. Your friend would be nuts not to like it.

Monday, May 29, 2006 3:37:00 pm  
Anonymous carol said...

Beautiful - and knitted so quickly! I can't imagine a better gift to a new second time mum.

Monday, May 29, 2006 3:38:00 pm  
Anonymous kerrie said...

wow, that is just beautiful. I'm sure that your friend will just love it, what a thoughtful gift to make for someone. I love that colour!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:22:00 am  
Blogger Midsummer night's knitter said...

Hi - River is coming along slowly, as you can see in today's entry. Thanks for asking. I think I need to move iinto the River rapids section but I'm a bit distracted by an entrelac wrap.
India

Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:50:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Monday, July 03, 2006 6:37:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Friday, July 21, 2006 12:10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 2:40:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home