Here comes the rain again



It is still raining here and so grey. The blossom has been blown off the trees the garden looks green but not much else. All this wet weather seems to have us craving sugary treats. On Friday I made a Honey Ginger Cake, from the River Cottage Family Cookbook, it's one of those cakes that needs to be left for a day or two to get really good, but that is asking a lot in this house and luckily it is pretty tasty when fresh too.
On Saturday the children spent a hour playing with play dough making pretend dinosaur biscuits and then we washed up the cutters and made the real thing using a Nigella recipe. On Sunday not only did we have Sticky Toffee pudding but Marcus was allowed to use the kitchen (under my close supervision) to make toffee with the children. Needless to say I now have furry teeth and a bit of a sugar headache but it has helped to distract us from all this rain.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm sat here, still stuffing my face with fudge even though I know I've had too much already, catching up on all the blogs I've missed while we've been away, while the rain pours down outside. Yes, sugar and rain go hand in hand, especially when there's no let-up and you know there'll still be a hosepipe ban come Summer... I'm very impressed with the toffee-making - I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to hot pans of boiling sugar and the whole setting-point phenomenon. My one attempt at Nigella's ruby grapefruit marmalade turned out to be ummm... glass. Very pretty. Very very set. Not even a blow-torch could loosen it out onto your toast. Ah well.
Anonymous said…
Nothing better than baking on a rainy day - hope the weather has improved a little by now.

Popular Posts