Meet Jilly Giraffe


I feel this particular book has earned its place on the shelf now because this is the second project I have completed. I am ridiculously pleased with Jilly, her body is a lovely soft felt and the clever design means she sits beautifully and I made my very first button jointed arms, that's right, her arms swing, I'm so pleased with myself. I used wool stuffing which works nicely but next time I might add something to weight her bottom a little. This has been a great learning project and has turned out much better than I thought, Jilly has now flown off to Belfast, she is a birthday present and I do hope she will be happily received.

I didn't post the details of this book when it arrived because I was a little ashamed of my sudden excess of Japanese Craft Books. This is the first toy one I have bought though and I am surprised to find I am really enjoying making the toys, the patterns are simple, inspiring and easy to customise. The toys make such lovely gifts and the book has really helped me get to grips with construction so hopefully I will be able to realise some of my own ideas.

ISBN 405604179-2
Thanks for the great sweater suggestions, Carol's suggestion had me googling (I guess that probably isn't a verb) Vintage Style and now I really need that book, thanks Carol (I think...). It would seem my book collection is also seriously missing Last Minute Knitted Gifts.

Comments

caroline said…
Oh Jilly is so lovely - how can you be parted from her?! I am so sure she will be well received.

Quick question - does hiding book purchases from my husband and if he asks questions giving the retort 'oh that - I've had that for ages' represent addiction?
Anonymous said…
One should never hide things from ones husband should one?

DH
Anonymous said…
Love the book, I want one too but I have no idea how to order form Japan. Any tips?
Anonymous said…
I know all about weighted bottoms! I've got one myself and its jolly useful for sitting down quickly, but not so great for getting up fast!
She is very sweet!
Artis-Anne said…
Oh how cute is she ? I am sure she will be well loved; what a great book.
Re your question on my blog I am going to the Meirionedd Guild as I think it might be slightly nearer,will let you know how I get on. Lucky you having the loan of a wheel , which one have you got? I keep changing my mind but I think I am going for the Ashford Traveller even though I rather the looks of the Traditional , but we will see !! Just want more hours in the day.
Charity said…
I especially love the photo of the little one swinging the bunny by the arm (do bunnies have arms?). Jilly is so sweet - you did a great job.

I've borrowed Last Minute Knitted Gifts from the library, but I need to purchase it myself :0)
Anonymous said…
What an adorable giraffe! You're quite good at the stuffed animal thing--aren't you so proud of yourself?!!! I need to get into my cottage and do some creating too, but its an absolute tip and I can't create in a messy environment and I'm not feeling inspired to clean so.....I think I generally need a kick in the butt....
weirdbunny said…
Do you see weirdbunny there in thet book, there is there pattern I use!
Anonymous said…
I do like Jilly. She has a slightly fey, simple look to her I think :0)

Last Minute Knitted Gifts is a good buy. I just knitted the angora booties from it. They are gorgeous and GENUINELY take under 2 hours the pair just as the book says !

Popular Posts