Tuesday, September 19, 2006

We interrupt this silence to bring you

Something for the weekend

I have been slaving over this bag in every spare moment for the last week, it has interfered massively with blogging, I have been holding off on posting because I was dying to include the finished bag but it took rather longer than expected. I have had the pattern for some time but had felt overwhelmed each time I took it out to browse. Actually once I got stuck in it wasn't so bad, there was a lot of cutting which I always find tedious, lining, exterior fabric, two lots of interfacing! Sewing the heavy layers together was a challenge, particularly the cording, but I only broke one sewing machine needle. Zips always put fear in me but this one went in rather well, the pattern is well written and easy to follow although as I am an idiot there were or course a few errors and much cursing on my part. There was a lot of pining and machine basting, unusually I resisted the urge to cut corners on these stages inspite of repeatedly stabbing myself with pins. So, one week later, minus most of my nails and with the addition of a number of cuts and scratches I present you with my Amy Butler Weekend Bag. The fabric was all from stash (Abakhan bargain stuff), so that makes it another free project, right?

I am thrilled with the completed bag and thankfully I get to use it very soon, but more about that later in the week. There are lots of imperfections on close inspection but it is pretty sturdy and should withstand actual use, I do wish I had used a plain fabric for cording but then it wouldn't have been free of course... I may make another one of these in the future, when my hands have recovered.

28 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

Ooooh - what a fabulous bag! Looks gorgeous and beautifully made. I think you are underplaying your skill as a needlewoman!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:35:00 pm  
Blogger Midsummer night's knitter said...

I am prostrating myself in front of you, o worthy one!
India

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 4:00:00 pm  
Blogger kris said...

ooooh it's beautiful! i'm dead impressed.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 5:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Ali said...

That's gorgeous - love the fabric!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:06:00 pm  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I am green with envy! That bag is wonderful

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:41:00 pm  
Blogger Charity said...

Beautiful bag! You should be thrilled - you did a wonderful job :0)

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:50:00 pm  
Blogger opportunityknits said...

This bag is absolutely gorgeous, it's worth all the effort you've put in. I'm in awe :)

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:26:00 am  
Blogger caroline said...

You have every right to be thrilled your bag is beautiful and I really love your choice of fabric.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 9:16:00 am  
Anonymous kerrie said...

That is just gorgeous, I wish I had the skill and the patience to make that. Well done!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 11:36:00 am  
Anonymous victoria said...

i love that bag! and the fabric you chose! you did a beautiful job! its amazing there aren't more typos in your blog post with your hands being swaddled in bandages and all.....

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:46:00 pm  
Anonymous Gemma said...

Beyootifool!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:04:00 pm  
Anonymous sarah said...

Golleee wow, it is so impressive.
I wonder how much time you spend doing these projects, your work is just fantastic.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:14:00 pm  
Blogger Cherry Rolfe said...

That is a lovely bag - well done! Aren't we spoilt with Abakhan and Textile Express!
Now you have an ideal weekend bag you must have an ideal weekend!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 5:48:00 pm  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Did you make this bag?? It looks amazing! x K

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:49:00 pm  
Anonymous Wendy said...

I am dumb struck. That bag is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:35:00 pm  
Blogger Tami said...

Wow! That looks great.
I love the fabric you chose.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:59:00 pm  
Anonymous marjorie said...

The bag is absolutely stunning. And I love your fabric choice. Can't wait to hear where you'll be taking it. Is there a romantic weekend for two coming up?

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 9:22:00 pm  
Blogger Amelia said...

Wow, I think I may just be speechless. I want one. If only I could sew! THere may be imperfections but they are very well hidden!

Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:58:00 am  
Anonymous joy said...

It's beautiful, and well worth the effort! And of course 'free' is very, very good. ;-)

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:25:00 am  
Blogger Alice said...

Gasp!!!!! The times I have intended to make that bag. Yours is HEAVENLY. Oh, you are clever at choosing the colours. I so want that bag right now (I have got to stop this. It's not good for the soul, all this longing).

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:41:00 am  
Anonymous Heather said...

Absolutely gorgeous Rebecca !

Thursday, September 21, 2006 3:47:00 pm  
Blogger Penny said...

That is a really lovely bag, well worth the effort you put in.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Sabine said...

Ooohhhohhoh, what a wonderful bag.

Friday, September 22, 2006 8:34:00 am  
Anonymous Jessica said...

Beautiful bag! You did a great job with the piping/cording. Impressive work--best wishes for lots of fun trips with your new bag.

Friday, September 22, 2006 1:46:00 pm  
Blogger craftydramaqueen said...

I totally love the bag. I love the style of it and the fabric is gorgeous. Well done you!!

Friday, September 22, 2006 4:49:00 pm  
Blogger katie said...

what a wonderful bag - so clever of you to persevere with 'correct' techniques - I am s terrible 'corner cutter' and never would manage such a thing of beauty!

Friday, September 22, 2006 10:00:00 pm  
Blogger lindaharre said...

As I am reading your comments on your bag......I have to say that what I loved the most was the contrast of two unlikely fabrics! WOW, I love the piping and handles with the other fabric. Anyone can do solid:-D

Saturday, October 07, 2006 2:01:00 am  
Anonymous Nichola said...

Your weekender bag looks amazing! Question: did you use the asked for Timtex? If not what sis you use in it's place?

Friday, January 12, 2007 9:05:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home