Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Lovely linen

A new fabric shop opened in town, sadly nothing to get really excited about but there was this lovely linen. Quite a heavy weight linen, the colour is so lovely, a perfect background to white trim or lively patterns.
This smock top is from one of my growing collection of Japanese Craft books, the second I have made, very simple but this time I cheated and bought the ready made bias binding, boy is that easier! It looks lovely with just a white blouse and white cropped trousers but I think I will make some matching trousers (well I bought a lot of the linen just so no one else could.)


The top still needs something, I am playing with embroidery, a simple daisy design is in my head and I am struggling to translate it to thread and fabric. My embroidery skills are alarmingly limited but I think this is one of those things that needs to be kept simple and I probably need to stop procrastinating and just jump in, what will be will be.

14 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Linen is a gorgeous fabric, and that looks like a classic shade you've chosen. Hope you'll show us the daisy design when you're finished.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:35:00 am  
Blogger caroline said...

The natural linen with the white trim looks stylish and casual all at the same time - beautiful. I look forward to seeing how the embroidery works out.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:46:00 am  
Blogger opportunityknits said...

Linen is always fabulous, so I totally understand why you had to buy a lot of it :) This smock is very Franch and Japanese chic, really lovely. Hope you will model this for us after you've embroidered.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:16:00 am  
Blogger Ali said...

It's gorgeous. I love love love linen. So understated yet chic.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:27:00 am  
Anonymous Nora said...

Oh-so-lovely!
Did you adapt a child's pattern or did it come in adult size?

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:34:00 am  
Blogger Midsummer night's knitter said...

Which Japanese craft books do you have? IS there one above the others tthat you would recommend as a first-time purchase?
India

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 11:11:00 am  
Anonymous kim said...

So simple yet elegant. I love the linen, not thin and skimpy like most store-bought garments. It makes me wish - yet again - that I could sew.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 12:02:00 pm  
Anonymous victoria said...

Don't you just love linen? I have some pants made out of linen that just get better and softer every time I wash them...perfect for summer! (If it ever arrives...)

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 1:58:00 pm  
Blogger picperfic said...

I can't wait to see this with the daisy on it..I love lazy daisy stitch and googled it to see what was out there for inspiration. I love the natural colourway here, it looks very cute!

Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:28:00 am  
Anonymous carol said...

That looks to be such gorgeous linen - and in such a classic color.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:38:00 pm  
Blogger MRS MJW said...

WOW! That is incredibly cute! Is it for your daughter?

Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:00:00 pm  
Blogger Lina said...

The fabric looks lovely! I love linen in the summer and the color is great. The smock looks like something I'd like to wear too :)

Friday, April 20, 2007 7:57:00 pm  
Blogger picperfic said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:49:00 pm  
Blogger picperfic said...

sorry that last post went a bit wrong...this should work

I don't know if you've finished this darling little pinny yet but I came across this just now and immediately thought of you! Clicky! It's a full tutorial too!

Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home