Silence

The school holidays seem to be whizzing along and to tell the truth, strange as it may seem, I rather like having them at home for so long, I love the six week break and regret that it is not eight weeks as it is in Northern Ireland. Six weeks goes too quickly in my opinion! I am not some sort of saint, I yell as much as the next fishwife but I love the feeling of not having to rush anywhere, so far these holidays have been a bit too busy but they are beginning to slow down a little now and I look forward to some long lazy days together, a bit of painting, lots of books together, some marathon lego sessions and just watching and listening to the two of them.

Inspite of this.... I am breathing a sigh of relief today, drinking in the silence and peace and that lovely feeling of absolute stillness that comes of being home alone, bar two lazy dogs. Yesterday was Dylan's eighth
birthday and 12 children (of whom only 8 were invited) attended a very noisy party. Some idiot (that will be The Technical Advisor) had agreed to putting "water pistol fight" on the invites. I had almost forgotten about this as guests arrived armed with "super soakers" and water bombs, sadly The Technical Advisor was unable to leave work in time to join the fun!!!????? He informed me of this about 2 hours before the party and of that we will say no more. Thankfully it was a beautiful day (but don't be envious those of you in rain-soaked Britain, the rain came back today). This afternoon the birthday boy and his sister have gone to visit Grandmother and I get to drink in that lovely silence while drinking tea, browsing my Rowan 42, which looks good, really, really good. No family dinner to prepare just have to think about mixing cocktails and preparing some nibbles for my girls evening tonight, a small group of us are gathering to sip kitsch drinks and watch a few Doris Day movies, sounds good doesn't it?

The pictures are of the latest baby gift, yet another of those little Erika Knight sweaters in Rowan 4ply Soft and a pair of a little pair of boots in the rather lovely Debbie Bliss Cashmerino. I know, I know, I do seem to knit that sweater rather a lot but it is such a great quick knit and always seems to fit pretty well so I make no apologies.

Comments

Charity said…
I love the little sweater and booties! So sweet. :0)

I can relate to your feelings about your children. I LOVE having mine home, too, and am always sad when they go back to school. Still, every now and then, and little peace is very nice.
Anonymous said…
I think that little sweater and booties are completely adorable. Have fun with Doris and the girls!
Anonymous said…
I love having the kids home now (full 8 weeks) but when they were younger it was harder as most of their schoolmates had cottages or were in camp for most of the summer so I was left to provide Advanced Amusement Strategies, which left me quite exhausted. Also I missed the school moms for company. Now it's so much easier. I don't even have to wake them up in the morning before I go out!
I LOVE the baby things but honestly I'm hot just looking at woollens right now.
Flavaknits said…
It is lovely having the wee ones about - I also yell a lot too, but interspersed with cuddles.
Love the bootees, and sweater. Looking outside now its pouring rain, gale force winds - aahh summer in Scotland!
It's a sweet baby set. That reminds me, I want to knit some baby stuff. And a water pistol shoot-out has become the tradition at our kindergarten sunday school sports day. It's the only chance in the year that you get to soak your teachers! Parents join in the fun too! So I can imagine the fun your kids must have had at the party.
Linda said…
The baby knits are gorgeous. I used to like the school holidays but now have to juggle with work, I used to work term times only. But I do have a rare day with no routine which is so nice.
Bethany said…
Your knitting is beautiful! In the U.S. we are having HOT muggy days of summer vacation and school is still a month away. I'm long overdue for a girl's night....enjoy!
Cornflower said…
You've earned your Doris Day break!
Lovely sweater, as always!
Anonymous said…
I had a pair of baby slippers for my first baby, similar to yours but in a soft mint green. I wish I had kept them. I remember those summer holidays when my children were home for eight weeks. Some of those days were rather long, but we had fun too. They helped me pick vegetables and water things, and we had great camping trips, exploring Vancouver Island. Now we just have one baby bird left in the nest.
Kathleen said…
"I yell as much as the next fish-wife" LOL, I love that expression you've come up with!
Lovely knits too. Soft and pink- yummy.
Concha said…
Oh I do love your knitting and the small details you add to them!
Anonymous said…
You have Rowan 42? I'm jealous...smile. I am waiting patiently here in Canada for mine though. Haven't peeked at any of those spoilers out there yet.

I hope you enjoyed your girls evening. Sounds decadent!

Your little knits are just adorable!
Anonymous said…
I wish I could come to your girls night - it sounds fab :0) Lovely baby sweater no apologies needed and yes the holidays are far too short. I'm sure they were longer when I was wee ??
Sue said…
The baby gifts are so cute and pretty. It is nice not having to rush around every day when the kids are home, but sometimes you do need your own space to be able to unwind from them too.
Anonymous said…
No apologies necessary, those are adorable.
yvette said…
I love that baby jumper and your girls evening sounds just perfect to me.
didn't realise until today that you could find other bloggers in your area - haven't found you before but love your knits. my kids are grown now but i used to like the summer holidays too and always felt rather alienated by the moaning that sometimes happened at the school gate about having them home for so long. Used to yell from time to time too but always loved the sense of having stopped functioning to a timetable and just drifting through the days.

Popular Posts