A Friday Scone


And just how do you pronounce that? Do you rhyme with gone or cone? And what does your pronunciation of scone say about you I wonder? Wikipedia has this to say on the subject,
The pronunciation of the word across the United Kingdom varies. According to one academic study, nearly two thirds of the British population and 99% of the Scottish population pronounce it as /skɒn/, to rhyme with "con" and "John." The rest pronounce it /skəʊn/, to rhyme with "cone" and "Joan." British dictionaries usually show the "con" form as the preferred pronunciation, while recognizing that the "cone" form also exists.[1]


Which begs the question, who does these studies?

For the record I rhyme with "gone" and I am wondering if the pronunciation of scone is a similar hotbed overseas or are those readers now entirely convinced of my madness.


These scones were baked to a new recipe, well new to me but well and truly tried and tested by my aunt who fed them to me slathered in butter, bejewelled with cranberries and sat upon the finest bone china, they were perfect. We like them with raspberry jam too. Surprisingly there were a couple left today and Tilly had them at breakfast. Depending on your point of view this is either a very bad or a very good way to start the day no matter how you pronounce them.







Comments

Popular Posts