Thursday, June 10, 2010

A simple sew
I had an unexpected metre of fabric and unusually was struck with immediate vision and decisiveness.



I cut narrow strips up the side to become tie straps, folded, pressed and sewn in minutes. I turned, pressed and sewed along the top of my fabric.



I wound shirring elastic on to my bobbin and sewed seven or eight rows, working from the top down, using my machine foot as a guide.



This bit took more than a few minutes, but not very much longer and of course there was the satisfying pleasure of watching the fabric begin to gather and crinkle. I steamed the elastic and smiled as it crinkled up even more.

I sewed a seam joining the fabric sides together, just minutes. I turned a hem.



I made a dress.



In under an hour! And I tried it on, it would make a pretty good tunic type dress/top for an adult too. Clearly I would not wear it quite so beautifully though.

There are instructions for pretty much the exact same dress, but smaller, in the wonderful Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching

10 Comments:

Blogger TheMadHouse said...

Thank you for your wonderful kind comment, you may have just inspired me to have a go ith the elastic thing!

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:27:00 pm  
Anonymous anne smith said...

gosh i remember so well making dresses like that for my girls when they were little - a green one for chloe and a red one for vicky!! instant happiness as i remember.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:28:00 pm  
Blogger martha said...

So sweet. Don't you love it when ideas work out perfectly?

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:14:00 pm  
Blogger opportunityknits said...

It's a darling dress! Love the lil print. Yay for simple sews, they're my favourite kind :) And yes, why is it that it looks better on the young ones than on us ? :(

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:51:00 pm  
Blogger dottycookie said...

I have the fabric and the elastic all waiting to go. You may have just given me the motivation to stitch the wretched things!

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:54:00 pm  
Blogger Arianwen said...

It looks lovely! So jealous of the sunshine. Mine are still wearing winter woolies.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:08:00 pm  
Anonymous Georgina said...

Oh how I miss the days of shirring elastic and a yard of fabric making a whole dress........... and I miss ris rac too!!!

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:42:00 pm  
Blogger Andrea said...

My nan made me a dress like this a long time ago! I have been meaning to make some for my girls, off to check what fabic I have. Thanks for the inspiration x

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:03:00 pm  
Blogger silverpebble said...

I am gasping. It's stunning and I love how simple you made it sound.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:28:00 pm  
Blogger kristina said...

So beautiful! Must give shirring elastic a go. Though guessing it will take me quite a bit longer than an hour!

K x

Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:12:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home