Matters of the head



Today I followed the charming Mrs M's links and found my way to Perpetual Motion whose post rang a very loud bell in my head.


Since moving to Suffolk my hair has been an area of failure. I had waist length hair for most of my life, it was long, thick and rather pre-Raphaelite in style and curl, it was really quite lovely but of course I never realised this at the time and rather regretted my lack of experimentation and style. At the age of 33, i
n the early stages of pregnancy and therefore very likely hormonally unbalanced I had it all cut off quite short, in the popular Meg Ryan style of the day. It was quickly apparent that I do not look like Meg Ryan and I certainly do not have her hair type and so began my often unrewarding relationship with hairdressers.


On that occasion, I found myself entirely unable to make my hair look as it did when I walked out of the salon and I returned a few days later. They were very kind and patient, they took me through all the steps, I left feelin
g confident and the next day I began to style with abandon. Of course you already know what I am going to say don't you? Yup, it never did look salon beautiful and I resigned myself to birds nest hair and stocked up on hair ties as I began the growing process.


In Wales I was lucky enough to finally find a rather wonderful stylist called Emma, she listened to what I wanted, she understood my hair, she did not laugh when I brought her unrealistic pictures from magazines and on many occasions she actually made my hair look like those pictures. She was a complete treasure and it rather broke my heart to leave her. In the past year I have been to several different hairdressers and not one of them has made my hair look like Emma did, indeed one of them sent me out with neon orange and yellow hair which I think might have made dear Emma cry.



Right now I am supporting a good inch of grey and brown roots atop my yellow and brown mop and deciding just where to present my head on a platter to this time. Ever hopeful that one of these days I might just find another Emma.



The entirely unrelated photographs which accompany this post are of a recent scarf I made for a friend in a combination of linen and Liberty prints, I simply could not bear to supply you with a selection of my bad hair pictures. In case you are ever in need of fantastic hair in North Wales my lovely ex-hairdresser can be found at Clinton James, Junction.

Comments

Dawn said…
I think you had better knit a hat!
I have been to the same hairdresser for years, hate the way she dries it but never seem able to tell her so I end up going home to wash and dry it again.
dottycookie said…
I do sympathise - I seem to alternate between letting mine grow long and wavy and then tying it up, or having it cut short into styles I can't reproduce. I did find one fabulous hairdresser who completely understood maximising the curl and letting my hair do what it wanted to do - no drying or styling involved, just a really good cut - but then when I went to book the latest appointment he had moved on :-(
kristina said…
Oh I know just what you mean. I've had more than my share of regrettable hairdressers and hairstyles.

My hair was perfectly smooth and straight, then went crazy-wavy in my teens, and I've never really got the hang of it since!

K x
Anonymous said…
good hairdressers are priceless. i had a stylist called ella who worked wonders with my hair and similarly, never laughed when i told her what i wanted. i trusted her to take me from my long hair of 15 years, to short - and it looked amazing. she did my son's first haircut at 6 weeks old. and then she went to be a scuba instructor in thailand :(
life (ok, hair) has never been the same since!
Gigibird said…
I have my own hairdressing dilemma – my beloved hairdresser who understands curly hair is with child and what I am going to do while she is off is too distressing to think about.
In the past I’ve had no qualms asking strangers with lovely hair where they went to get it cut.
One thing you could do especially if you had a good relationship with your old hairdresser is ask her for the hair dye details – they usually write it down.
kim said…
I am so behind in my comments. I actually spied your lovely locks in your Toast post (rhyme!) and thought, "There's someone who can just be natural and look fantastic!" What does one do when her hairdresser is her own sister and takes it upon herself to, um, DARKEN one's hair because Summer is over? Yeah, that was a bit of a shock during the blowdry... Oh well... Your sewing is beautiful as always... Have a great weekend.
I hear you - honestly I do.

I'd hate to think what my natural hair would look like as I'm so afraid of the 'grey top' I keep covering it over.

Have a fabulous weekend,

Nina xxx
Gina said…
If that is you hiding behind the mitts in your last post I think your hair looks fine (this is coming from someone who can only wear her hair cropped short... and grey)
mary said…
How I sympathise. And I also wish I'd appreciated what I had when it could still be described as pre-Raphaelite!
raining sheep said…
Hmmmm, well, I have had the same hair pretty much my whole life - long, straight, thin, blond. Once I permed it and that cured me from any experimentation for pretty much EVER. My hairdresser trims my hair every seven weeks, 1/2 an inch and every 12 weeks puts in blond highlights the same color as my hair is in the summer. I have made peace with this rather boring hair existence :)
I loved following your links! Ended up at the London Craft Show which looks wonderful.
t does wool said…
hair...we are never happy are we??
great sewing rebecca~
Ali said…
My hair will only look human with the help of wide plate GHDs and much patience (either mine or the hairdresser's!)

Lovely scarf, gorgeous fabrics!

Ali
x
Bethany said…
First of all, the scarf is gorgeous!!! Secondly, this hair thing is the bane of all women's existence. Save up, go to the best hairdresser you can locate in the biggest town near to you and get it done right! It's not your hair, it's the hairdresser!!! If you can't do that, then plan a trip to see your old one and have her do your hair to get you through your search for someone new. You wear your hair every day... it should be the thing you spend more money on because you get that money out of it! That's my two cents.
Josephine said…
This post has finally dragged me out of lurkdom. (A bit belated also) You could be describing my hair. After several re-locations (Ireland, Scotland, England-north & south) no-one would believe me that finding a new hairdresser can be more troublesome than finding new schools.
However I'm certain you will find a sympathetic hairdresser eventually; she will be female (men just don’t listen however much they nod) and she will understand how fantastic long thick hair can look - I know - I found her in Ilkley a couple of years ago.

Popular Posts