A bouquet of buttons



We recently had a party and my friend Sarah brought me buttons.





She brought wine and cheesecake too.





But buttons.  A bouquet of vintage buttons.  I like that Sarah lady.







Today I gathered flowers from the garden.  Red and pink roses, a daisy or two; lavender and mint, some trails of honeysuckle.






Then I set to cutting some Liberty print hearts for bookmarks.  I always cut them freehand, I like them to be uneven, each heart a little different. The fabric is Betsy and as the hearts fell to the table I looked at the flowers and the little bag of buttons, then put down my scissors and stopped to really enjoy the scene before me.

 

 
Lately it seems that too often I take pictures only from necessity - product shots or the recording of family details.  Today I just enjoyed the moment.  The beautiful June sunlight falling on the table.


The gentle rose and lilac of the buttons and the heart shapes in the petals.





It was fun.  I am so very glad I stopped to enjoy the tableau on my table.  Stopping to take in something beautiful is a tonic like no other.




 

Comments

dottycookie said…
I've fallen out of the photo habit too. These days I even seem to forget to take my camera along more frequently than I remember it. Not good.
Ali said…
I fell in love with photography all over again today too. Finally got round to swapping the zoom lens onto my decent camera and taking it along to a cricket match. I've stealthily captured so many beautiful shots of the children playing.
Su said…
What a lovely friend to bring you buttons as a gift. Your photographs are beautiful, I'm glad you stopped and then shared the scene with us. It's good for us all to stop sometimes and appreciate the beauty in the little things.
Willow said…
Like you, I've dropped out of the photo habit and I realized that I need to get my photographer's eye back in focus. Your photos are lovely and remind me of the beauty of summer!
birgitta said…
Thank you for the reminder how much strength one get's from beautiful things. Tonoght my in house office was flodded and my place is anything but beautiful. But it will be again soon :)
Lizzie said…
Your post inspired me to look at the the tableau on my table....turned out to be Weetabix crumbs, dried milk spillage and road tax reminder... on reflection I shan't photograph it for you. xx
I have to make myself pick my camera up most days at the moment - Instagram is so easy and for me....always to hand.

I love this moment,

Nina x
It is a tonic like no other. Time well spent.
Annie Cholewa said…
What a glorious post ... a posy and buttons. How did I miss it.

I do have to remind myself to just take pics for fun, so I deliberately set time aside to get out and about with my camera.
Gina said…
Such beautiful photographs... and what a lovely friend to bring wine, cheesecake and buttons!
Twisted Knitter said…
Ah. SO TRUE:

Lately it seems that too often I take pictures only from necessity - product shots or the recording of family details. Today I just enjoyed the moment.

You know what's ruined me? My iPhone! I love taking photos with it, and will keep doing it, but I've missed the clarity and truth of spontaneous, unstyled shots straight out of my humble point and shoot.

I love that you cut out your hearts freehand . . . the buttons are delicious and sweet.
Else said…
Lovely to meet you at the Farmer's Market - and even lovelier to see your stuff in 'real life'! Delighted with my tea cosy! 'Tis a thing of loveliness! best, Else.
Debs Dust Bunny said…
Your lovely photos transported me back to my childhood. My Granny had a button box filled with old buttons and other decorative bits. It was fascinating, as small child, sorting the buttons by shapes and colors.

Thanks for inducing a lovely memory and for your charming photos!

Popular Posts